Stinging Medicine
I first encountered this plant at Circle Lake Retreat Center in
Houston. It was a powerfully painful and numbing experience. Over
the next five years I worked to eradicate it, even learning how to carefully
pull it up without being stung. Then I happened to read about the many
excellent qualities of nettle, and, filled with remorse tried to find it on the
property. I had no luck, my perseverence in weeding was more capable
than my understanding.
So, last spring I purchased this plant of nettle, Urticaria dioica which came all the way from Maine and by its thriving has apparently
forgiven me. When it is bigger I can harvest the root, make a tincture
and help keep my prostate gland and urinary tract healthy. The leaves are
quite edible and according to German research are very anti-inflammatory,
particularly helpful for arthritis. It is also anti allergenic,
cleansing, and detoxifying, an excellent choice for arthritic pain.
As a potherb it is full of good ingredients and steaming or
boiling takes away all the sting. Just don't try to eat it raw! Here is the same plant six months later.


No comments:
Post a Comment