Friday, March 11, 2016

Most Beautiful Medicine

                                           Most Beautiful Medicine

When we plant it in our flower gardens we usually call it Coneflower, and recently plant breeders have offered electric colored cultivars in stunning shades of orange, red and pink.  I don't have photos of those, but you can find them on the internet I am sure.  The one I originally planted at the house is named Pink Parasol.





Coneflowers are among the most reliable of perennials and bloom over a long period, slowly losing their spring brightness.  For the market, I plant seed in the fall and about half my plants bloom the first year.  By year two all are in full array,.  Since I have planted saved hybrid seed I've been seeing different forms including a white one.

Medicinal practitioners and cough syrup manufacturers usually call this plant by its Latin name, Echinacea purpurea.  Although the flowers have minor health uses, to get the real medicine, you must pull up the plant and take its roots.  Like many root medicines older plants are more potent and Echinacea root should be harvested from a plant at least three years old.  This spring I had an infection on my leg and pulled up a younger plant which had only a small ring of black tissue within the root.  The extent of this coloration may define its potency.  Nevertheless the poultice I made seemed to warm and heal. 

Healing skin problems is one of the major uses of Echinacea, but Chevallier writes that it is the most important immune stimulant in Western herbal medicine, used for infections of all kinds, especially chronic infections.  Chronic fatigue syndrome is particularly mentioned.  Colds, flu, skin disorders, and respiratory problems are effectively treated.  Isn't this a plant we all need to be growing?

It looks especially lovely with blue spiderwort as a framework
  

  

  



I also was pleased to read that the ornamental cultivars are probably just as potent as the threatened plants in the wild.
Give me a call if you want to plant some!








    

No comments:

Post a Comment