Chaga Medicine
The nutritionists I've talked to about my bladder cancer have
emphasized the importance of consuming medicinal mushrooms. The mushroom
most often mentioned in this regard is the maitake mushroom, but I have never
used it. Thanks to some good friends I've never met, I've had a three
year supply of Chaga mushroom, Innonotus obliquus. Like Maitake, Chaga is
a shelf fungus. Its primary host is the birch tree and so is found in
lands to the far north where birch is common. it is a well known
medicinal throughout Northern Europe and Russia and is also eagely sought and
sold by mushroom hunters in the northern US and Canada.
The pieces of chaga here were chopped from a tree in Vancouver,
probably with an axe. Most of that conk remains on its dying or dead
birch tree. I love the moss growing on the mushroom... what does that
tell us. The main mycelial body is the russet color tissue and that is
extracted with hot water as a tea. Apparently it can be extracted much
more efficiently if the extraction is done with high pressure, so I will be
trying that with these pieces. The russet part is known to be highly
immune supportive. Black parts of the mushroom (or chitin) contain the cancer
killing properties and are extracted with alcohol.
The extraction begins by soaking the hard piece in water for a
day. The chaga floats, so it is weighed to sink. The soaking water becomes a beautiful brown color and isvery mellow to drink. After the soak the
chaga can be chopped or ground for boiling and then strained and put into
alcohol. At first I used a lot of alcohol in the extraction and several
time got "tipsy" consuming enough for my good health. This is not
standard practice. Actually at the time of consumption the alcohol
extract needs to be diluted to less than 40 proof so that the liver does not
sense a need to remove it from the bloodstream.
Alexander Solzhinitzin (sic) wrote his famous "cancer
ward" an autobiographical account of he treatment of his cancer with Chaga
in Russia. I'm sorry not to have read this yet, but apparently it cured
him and Chaga is a big part of my healing. What a beautiful thing.
It turns out that shelf mushrooms are not poisonous at all, but
are often so hard as to not be considered as food. I bet they are all
medicinal. I found a white conk on a dead and unidentifiable tree in
Tulsa. It was as hard as chaga and I managed to pull and pound off some
small pieces which I boiled at home finding the mushroom to be edible and the
broth to be hearty.
No comments:
Post a Comment